Monday, September 23, 2013

CUMMER MUSEUM of Fine Arts and Gardens


My daughter Deb and I in front of museum among sculptures
On the weekend of our 57th wedding anniversary, along with attending the wedding shower of my granddaughter, my daughter and I toured a small part of the Cummer Museum of Fine Arts and Gardens which  is the largest fine arts museum in northern Florida, created in 1959 by Ninah M.H. Cummer. I think originally the garden area was part of a private home back in the early part of Florida's heyday. We only had time to tour the outdoor sculpture display and the gardens in back. What a treat that was.


One of the sculptures in front
Most of our time was spent in the beautiful gardens in back by the St. John's River but we did see a little of the sculpture garden in  the front. It just didn't lend itself to decent photos.
 In the  front Sculpture Garden
The back has three different formal gardens. The Lower Olmsted Garden, Italian Garden and the English Garden
Lower Olmsted Garden
Italian garden reflecting pool




The Italian Garden has two reflecting pools side by side




Very old vine growing on pergola


All of the following photos of the pergola are in the English garden and as you can see it has growth that is over 100 years old.
English Garden with pergola in background


More wonderful foliage

More old growth on pergola

Beautiful brick work design behne the pergola

English Garden

Stunning growth of old vine

Peeking out from all that green

And if all of  that was not beautiful enough there is an ancient Live Oak growing on the grounds that is one of the oldest in Florida. I always feel so privileged and humble when standing under one of these living testimonies to endurance.


Cummer Oak


4 comments:

  1. Darlene! I got the shivers looking at the beautiful garden and your words help me understand what I am seeing. I think posting photos of a place that inspires your imagination, enlivens your soul, and keeps you in that creative juicy place is legitimate content for an "art" blog. EXPANDING your being and allowing mine to expand too! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed the photos of the gardens. I was there a very long time ago and in the last few years they have gotten some funding so expanded and really spruced the gardens up...I love going there..I could sit for hours in the garden and just relax, read, meditate or enjoy the view of the water...We need more beautiful places like that in our lives.

      Delete
  2. Love this post and especially love the picture of the live oak tree!! We are huge tree fans in our household and I resonate with your words..."I always feel so privileged and humble when standing under one of these living testimonies to endurance." Thank you for sharing your journey with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading it Christine..The gardens there are breathtaking....

      Delete