Saturday, June 28, 2014

JAZZ & BLUES


I first started this art piece several years ago with the drawing of the horn player and bass fiddler and plans to make it into a large wall hanging. That didn't happen and I set it aside. Then  couple of years ago I  used scraps of chiffon and other translucent fabrics to create a fabric collage. Then laying the drawing, greatly reduced in size, under the collage I free motioned stitched the outline only, burned the edges and again set it aside because I had no real plans or ideas for finishing it. It just became another of my many UFO's. 



Then last night or actually the very wee morning hours, because I could not sleep I started looking through art books and finally became inspired to finish it. I tried different colored papers  under it until I finally decided on this color so started looking at fabric in my box of miscellaneous fabrics. The one I finally chose is a rusty piece from some that my friend Ellen showed me how to rust when she visited me for an art retreat a couple of years ago...Then I decided to add the skewers to the sides in some way.



This is my finished piece. .The edges of the rusty background fabric is burned, the skewers are painted black then wrapped in a glittery thread and the music is stitched on by machine. I backed the piece with cotton batting before I did the sewing of the music. Then a piece of fabric to finish off the back and cover the batting is glued on'

I decided not to do the skewers on each side instead favoring an asymmetrical look...The skewers on the side are glued on and the ones on the top go through a sleeve. I am thinking it may need some tassels but for now it is called "done."

2 comments:

  1. love it, and glad to see you used some the of rusty fabric. We do these experiments and then years later find a place for them in our art work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darlene, you really are a Dadaist. This is out of this world. I love it. I've loved every picture of it you've put up, but this last one is it. So fine. Incredibly beautiful. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete